Seeing Red (Arrows)

On Sunday I had the privilege of being a guest at the airport to watch the Red arrows come-in and depart to display to the thousands of crowds at the Great North Run, here are selection of pictures from Sunday, being able to photograph the aircraft flying, landing, being maintained and take-off was different to the traditional display pictures you would get at an airshow! and it wasn't just the Reds that would keep me occupied while I was there a surprise visit by a UH-1H Iroquois or as it is better known as the "Huey" was entertaining as I had never seen one, so being able to hear its Lycoming engine and rotors making the distinctive "thump" "thump" coming down the runway was brilliant, even better again being able to sit in the aircraft! So thank you to the owner! The aircraft painted in the colours of the 129th Aviation Company of the U.S Army and carrying two deactivated M-60 Machine guns, served in Vietnam between 1972-1973 amassing over 500 combat hours as a troop carrier, it even has the "patches" on the floor from where the aircraft has been fixed after being hit by small arms fire, most likely AK-47 rounds, Two Bulldogs also came in on returning from RAF Leuchars airshow.
But the main reason I was there was for the Red arrows (I should add I didn't know the other aircraft were coming in) put on a great show as they do every year and I think it would be strange not to see the Red, White and Blue smoke flying across the Tyne bridge every year!

The Red arrows taxing off the runway

"Red 8"















UH-1 "Huey" 


The Huey's M-60 Machine gun and A red arrow Taxing
onto the runway for take-off













Break!






UH-1








A view from one of the
Bulldogs


Ohh and one more picture....
Not often you will see me putting a picture of
Myself up! (Me in a Huey!)

I would also just like to apologies again for the lack of posts recently, school work, being on holiday and generally just not having the time to process any of the hundreds of pictures I've taken over the last 8 or so weeks means I haven't been able to get any up although of recent I have spent quite a lot of time in Dumfries & Galloway at places like Bellymack feeding station, while I was up there I also got some very close encounters with red squirrels too. I also have tones of picture from Belgium & France, Sunderland airshow (In the airport) and many other pictures that I will try and catch up on soon!



Comments

  1. We can forgive you for the lapse in blogging as you've been very busy.:-)
    Great images Sam. I think the airport will be after these!
    And don't forget to get yourself framed! :-) Cheers. Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab shots Sam! Nice getting so close up to the action.

    Also good to read that as well as lots of other stuff you recently got good sightings of Red Squirrels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts