A morning on the sand (erling)

Here are a few pictures from another trip to St.mary's island in an attempt to get some more shots of waders,  
We spent quite a bit of the morning watching the birds, I ended up covered in sand after crawling along the beach slowly to get near enough to photograpg them, but I feel my effort was rewarded by managing to see these brilliant little birds quite close-up, there were quite a few waders around including Lapwing, Curlew, Knot, Golden plover, Oystercatcher and more, but the main birds I was after were the Sanderlings, a large group, around 80 strong stood on the rocks constantly trying to avoid the incoming tide, a few turnstones also gave good views as they fed in amongst the seaweed. We walked up to the wetland to find a large gathering of people watching the hedges for a Blyth's reed warbler, we never saw it but I've been told it did reappear after we left, nevermind!
It was a good day for me with a first for me in the form of a Brent goose (Pale-bellied) and a few "patch" ticks in Killingworth, the most impressive being a red kite that had a breif scrap with a Buzzard before disappearing into the fields nearby. Other patch ticks included the Buzzard, A fieldfare, 3 grey partridges and a small group of Lesser Redpoll and a few linnets that were nearby, we also had Kestrel and Female sparrowhawk flying in the area. 
We may have missed the Blyth's but a Red kite on patch makes up for that in my opinion! 
If you would like a more detailed report of the day visit Brian's (Killy Birders) blog for a full day's report. 

Starling

Starling in flight

Lapwing

Curlew

Commorant

A Male Eider duck with Blyth in the background,
possible new subspecies...Blyth's Eider?

Kestrel

On the look out

Turnstone

Turnstone

Sanderling


Sanderling

Sanderling

A view down the Wagonway

Not taken on Saturday but one of my most recent pictures
from Bellymack feeding station







Comments

  1. Yeah it's cool having a Red Kite on patch!

    Nice variety of shots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mark, It does make you wonder where they get the enjoy from! they seem to spend more time running around than actually feeding! :)
      Sam

      Delete
    2. Yes I know what you mean, lol!

      I assume they maintain the energy from their food for a good while. I've never seen them at rest, but perhaps they have prolonged periods of this and so can replenish their stamina levels somewhat. (I need to look this up, lol).

      Delete
  2. The depth of field on your images is very nice indeed.
    What are you shooting at Sam, do you have a regular "go to" ??
    Love the Sanderling images, especially the second with the breaking waves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks John, I usually go for around F5.6 rarely higher for wildlife, I've been after some better Sanderling images for a while but think I will have to take a few more trips back as they are very entertaining to watch, well worth getting sandy for!
      I have always thought they are great little birds and I can never decide which is my favorite wader Avocet, Purple sandpiper, curlew or the sanderlings!
      Thanks
      Sam

      Delete
  3. Just looking at the Sanderlings again, one of my favourite birds at the coast, i always smile when i see them.......worth getting sandy for !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah the Sanderlings are a great sight and I always wonder where they get the energy from, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whats a Blyth's reed warbler when you can have tons of Sanderlings running around right in front of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here here.:-)
      Nice photos and I like the Kestrel image especially.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts