More Seabirds

Another batch of photos from my past few visits to the Farne Islands, the most recent being my trip across in search for the Bridled Tern, which I actually missed seeing as I was more interested in getting some pictures of the Arctic Terns hovering above their nests, never mind! I personally find it more amazing that a Arctic Tern can travel from the Southern Hemisphere to the Northern Hemisphere to the place they nest year on year before making their way back again, never mind travelling from the tropics!
Other than the Farnes I have mainly stayed local and have been watching Killingworth Lake as much as possible, the attention to the lake paid off when myself and Brian picked up upon a single Wigeon in the middle of the lake, a species that I know Brian has not recorded for some time on the lake and a species that was for myself a patch tick. The Grebes also still continue to do well by raising a single brood of two so far this year. Swan numbers are still currently fluctuating with many now starting to arrive to moult, as too are the Canada Geese which have again returned for moult in large numbers.
The RSPB Newcastle groups trip to Smardale also proved a successful outing with many different types of Invertebrate, mostly in the form of Butterflies and Moths, for a full round up on the trip Brian (Killy Birder), has written a full report of the day which included a colourful stop in Kirkby Stephen with some tropical Birds to go with the Tropical heat!

Female Common Eider,
Seahouses Harbour

Arctic Tern Hovering, Inner Farne

Black-Headed Gull, Inner Farne

Puffin, Inner Farne

Guillemot at Dusk, Staple Sound  

Scarlet Macaw, Kirkby Stephen

Mute Swan Cob, Killingworth Lake

Black-Headed Gull Taking off,
 Dukes Pond, Rising Sun Country Park







Comments

  1. Very good shots Sam. Nice getting close up detail on the Mute Swan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some really good images Sam and I'm pleased I was there to enjoy most of them.:-)
    To my mind your attitude about birds and other wildlife is spot on. Get to know what some may call commoner species and their fascinating behavior and take the odd rarity on the occasions that it comes to you! Brian.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts