Seahouses Harbour 28/12/12 EIDERS!

I spent the majority of yesterday morning watching Eider ducks in Seahouses harbour, I've always enjoyed watching them especially when good views of them on land are to be had.
Yesterday morning started with a Rock pipit flying right in front of me and dropping onto the sand and almost posing for the camera before flying off to join a Pied wagtail that was also frequenting the beach, the tide was out but a few Turnstones still scavenged along the shore.
I was stood for some time watching them and the Eiders that were floating around in the background and then something caught my eye, a large brown bird dropped over the inner harbour wall and skimmed the water about 10 yards in front of me, I soon realised  it was a Woodcock and it was an excellent view too.
It flew into some long grasses at the harbour edge before lifting and flying away inland, I can only presume it had just came in from the continent.
A short walk around the harbour brought the usual, Curlew, Oyster catcher, Turnstone and several species of  Gull, A lone Grey plover kept with the Turnstones and 4 Bar-tailed Godwits wondered around foraging for food in the mud.
I returned to the beach end of the harbour and spent a few hours photographing the Eiders, with some excellent views.
A family then came and began feeding the birds although I think one of the kids would probably think again from doing this after being pecked and bitten by one of the Eiders.
The highlight of the morning was defiantly the Woodcock but the Eiders weren't bad either!
Rock pipit

Common Eider

Common Eider - Female

Common Eider

Starling

Starling

Dunnock

Common Eider

Common Eider - Female

Common Eider - Male

Common Eider - Male

"Get orrfff my land!"


I also saw a strange looking duck in the harbour floating around with the Eiders, I soon realised it was a Spectacled Eider...

"Spectacled Eider"



Comments

  1. That last Eider appears to be making a 'spectacle' of itself! :-)
    Love the Eider images Sam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last Eider reminds me of Eric Morecambe, lol.

    Nice pics as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes it does seem to be making a spectacle of its self!
    I see what you mean mark it does look a little like him haha
    Thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts